Whispers in Tamris
This system is a sort of rewards program. I have some gemstones of two colors, red and green. Red gems are related to combat, while green gems are used for social/roleplay encounters. Players may hold a maximum of 7 gemstones at any one time. They will be unqualified and unable to earn any more until they spend some; gems are not “held in waiting” until they are spent.
Gems are rewarded through several means. Unstated gems rewards are random (red or green). In general these are rewarded for particularly heroic efforts, not run-of-the-mill occurrences. As such, try to be somewhat conservative in their use.
- All players receive one red and one green gem upon character creation.
- Characters also receive one red and green gem per level gained.
- Characters receive an additional green gem for a good backstory.
- Regular attendance (every three sessions attended).
- Exceptional acts of character and heroics.
- Achievement of a character’s personal goals.
- Journal postings of quality.
- Aiding in world creation discussion or mechanics.
- Major plot reveals and/or story arc completions award one red and green gem.
Gems can be redeemed for combat bonuses, one-time effects, or even permanent boosts. Up to three red gem actions, but no more than one action per round, can be redeemed by a character per combat. Only 3 green gem actions can be redeemed by a character per session, excluding Mod/Major Narrative Declaration. Only one Moderate or Major Narrative Declaration can be redeemed per session; once used, no player can use it until the next session. These Declarations do not count against the character’s green gem actions for the session. Declarations must be used before an action takes place (no undoing something already stated) and cannot be used to directly harm or slay any major opponents (no killing bosses!). All gem actions can otherwise be redeemed in any character state (e.g. unconscious, stunned, intoxicated), but the upper-bound effects (5+ gems) cannot be redeemed in combat.
Some examples of things you can use the gems on:
- Gain one extra attack (1 red)
- Ignore the next attack against you (1 red, must be used before attack)
- Automatically confirm a critical attack (1 red, must be used before the die roll)
- Stabilize from dying (1 red)
- Re-roll a failed action (1 red, must take new result)
- Bolster Spells / Add 2 to spell DC (1 green, lasts for the duration of combat)
- Bolster a Feat (e.g. double numerical effects) (1 red, lasts for the duration of combat)
- Emulate a Feat (1 red, must meet all prerequisites, lasts for duration of combat)
- Add 1d20 to a non-combat die roll (1 green)
- Re-roll a failed non-combat die roll (1 green, must take the new result)
- Divine Inspiration / DM Hint (1 green)
- Minor Narrative Declaration (1 green)
- Recall a Minor Spell (1 green, levels 0-3)
- Use a limited ability (e.g. per day) one extra time (1 red OR green, depending on ability)
- Automatically critical next attack (2 red, must be used before dice rolled)
- Gain an additional full round outside normal initiative (2 red)
- Negate a Status Effect (2 red)
- Second Wind / Full heal (2 red, must be below half health)
- Recall a Moderate Spell (2 green, levels 4-6)
- Moderate Narrative Declaration (2 green)
- Negate the effects of a deathblow (3 red)
- Recall a Major Spell (3 green, levels 7-9)
- Major Narrative Declaration (3 green)
- Gain a bonus d8 Hit Die (5 gems)
- Gain 5 Skill Points (5 gems)
- Gain a bonus Feat (6 gems)
- Improve a Racial/Class Feature (e.g. gain additional uses or dice) (6 gems)
- Gain a +1 to Ability Score (7 gems, max 5)
- Purple Shiny Stuff (7 gems)